Saturday, April 02, 2011

Homemade Granola Recipe






I don’t consider myself “granola
…although, with all the Michael Pollan I’m reading these days, I may be headed that way…

        Whatever, I'll own it. 


I like granola. I like a good house-made granola parfait for brunch at restaurants. I like the stuff out of the bulk bins at the store or farmer’s market. And, it’s about stinkin’ time I learn to make my own, have it on hand … and maybe even get good enough that people will want MY recipe!

In the meantime, a friend gave me this site to help get me on my way.

Here ‘s the original recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups old-fashioned oats

1 1/2 cup sliced almonds

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries 
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a bowl mix the oats, almonds, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. In a saucepan warm the oil and honey. Whisk in vanilla. 

Carefully pour the liquid over the oat mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon; finish mixing by hand. Spread granola in a 15x10 inch baking pan. 

Bake 40 minutes, stirring carefully every 10 minutes. Transfer granola-filled pan to a rack to cool completely. Stir in raisins or cranberries. Seal granola in an airtight container or self-sealing plastic bag. Store at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
*I will add: Flax seed, Toasted Pecans (thanks to my family in the South!), sesame seeds, and Dried banana chips, maybe even sunflower seeds to the dry ingredients.
*Stirring while in the oven is a must, it’ll burn surprisingly quick if you don’t.
*I seem to easily forget to add the stuff at the end. Bummer. It’d be good with dried cranberries/raisins/chocolate chips (all of which I have, just forgot to put it in!).
*The little bit of cinnamon in this recipe is YUMMIE! :)
*Fattening? Yes.  Nutritionally worth the calories (in moderation)? Definitely.

What I’m still learning:
*how to create the liquid without oil. Maybe more honey?

 * If you have a granola recipe you’re wiling to share, I’d love to try it!! *


-GH

No comments: